Sunday 13 May 2012

My unexpected OHSS

It's time to write about what happened 2 weeks ago. After the last scan before eggs collection everything looked well, I told the nurse my ovaries felt tender and I was basically quite uncomfortable but she told me it was normal considering I had 13 follicles on my right ovary and about 8 on the other one. 

So egg retrieval was scheduled for the 1st of May, I was asked to take that day and the following off work and even though it was so difficult to lie I told my Manager I had to have surgery on my ovaries to remove a cyst. I just don't feel comfortable telling her the truth.

On the day of ET we left our little girl with the nanny and went to the clinic, while I was waiting I was smiling and joking even though I was very nervous about the procedure, I never had sedation before...

Anyway I said goodbye to E. and went into theatre. I remember the nurse asking me a few questions while the doctor was inserting the IV into my arm, I remember asking him if we were going for a 5 days transfer or a 3 days and he said 5, so I asked if it was going to be on sunday and he said oh yes we work everyday here, we have no life! I remember answering "but you give life!" And with that I was gone.

I woke up in the recovery room, E. was there, I remember being very sleepy but no pain at all. I asked the nurse if everything went well and she said yes and that the doctor would come to talk to me. 

The doctor came and told me they were very happy because they got 20 eggs, but unfortunately they were going to freeze them all because I was at high risk of OHSS.

Then my world collapsed. All the stress, waiting, hoping it would all be done in 5 more days and yet again I wasn't going to have the transfer. After canceling IUIs because I had too many follicles and starting IVF because of that I still wasn't going to do it. Arghhhhhhh!!!

I got very upset, E. was quite mad at the doctor for not telling her before when she asked if everything was ok. I tried to get up but felt really dizzy and had to stay in the clinic for 3 more hours before being able to get up. 

I only drank a glass of water and got sick on the way home in the car. Went to bed straight away and slept until the following day when the OHSS symptoms started.

I woke up feeling ok, I got up to go to the bathroom and oh God I was sore, all my abdominal area was hurting like I did 1500 sit ups and I couldn't walk properly. Peeing was sore but I was told to drink a lot of water, milk and gatorade and monitor my urine to make sure there was no fluid building up in my abdomen.

So I spent the day between the sofa, the fridge and the toilet. Google was my friend and enemy, I couldn't help reading all the worst case scenario and seeing myself not being able to breath and in the hospital. (I know I am very tragic)

The following day I went to the clinic for a scan, my ovaries were still quite swollen and the nurse found 2 pockets of liquid in my abdominal cavity. Panic. What now I asked? She said they might have to drain it in theatre. Noooooooo. Not again.

After consulting with the doctor she told me they were not too concerned and to keep drinking and to keep monitoring urine and weight. So I did. Went home and drank until I couldn't anymore.

The following day I was in less pain but nausea came. I couldn't eat or drink anymore, I started having issues with ending a breath, I don't know how to explain but it's like I couldn't breath properly in order to do it I had to keep yawning all the time. My abdomen and belly felt very bloated and I was ok only in bed. So I watched 'contagion', ahaha, bad choice for an hypochondriac eh!

Anyway I started feeling better on the sunday night, 6 days after, I didn't go back to work until monday and today i still feel tired but since I got my period I've got a sense of relief. Now I only hope my poor ovaries will go back to normal and that I got rid of the extra liquid in my abdomen.

I know I only had a mild case of OHSS but still it has been a nightmare and in fairness it was unlucky but I am happy my doctor decided to cancel my transfer. If I was to get pregnant I know my symptoms were going to get pretty serious and I could have end up in hospital, not a nice way to start a pregnancy.

So now I'm waiting again, I'm going to lie to my boss again and it feels awful but I don't have any other solution at the moment. TTC is something so personal and being italian I am also quite superstitious so if one day I will be pregnant I won't say anything until the 12 weeks mark.

So this is my OHSS story, it ended well, I am ok now but I hope that if any of you will have to experience it you'll be prepared and everything will be ok.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh that sounds like you've had a terrible time. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and finally able to prepare for the transfer. I know what you mean about the work thing. I've had to take alot of time off work this year for both fertility and allergy appointments and I've managed to get away with it so far without having to offer too much info, but it's hard having to come up with reasons as to why I need to take time off AGAIN. I really don't want to tell anyone at my work that we're TTC. They can find out at the 3 mth mark if / when we get there. But in the meantime it's hard to keep making up reasons for the appointments. I actually took annual leave for a week last month for the IUI just so I wouldn't have to explain all the appoinments. But I can't really do that again next month for the IVF cycle. Anyway I'm not sure what I'll do yet but I totally understand what you mean. Good luck with the transfer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meela, I would suggest you consider taking time off at least for the egg retrieval, I've been reading different blogs and even with no OHSS symptoms your body will take a couple of days to go back to normal so you'll need to take it easy at least the following day after ER. I know it's so difficult to ask and ask and ask, in my case I try to compensate doing as much as I can whenever I am there, trying to make it up for the time I missed. Hopefully it will be worth it at the end.

    ReplyDelete