Wednesday 17 April 2013

Hugo's birth story

So as you probably remember I was due to be induced on the 26th of March, on the night before induction my contractions started! I was so happy, even though they were 20 minutes aparts and not too strong I was delighted my body started on its own and I was hoping to avoid the oxitocine.

So in the morning we went to the hospital where I got checked and the Doc was happy to tell me I was nearly 3cm dilated! They did put something in my v. to help with dilatation and left me and E. to wait.

Immediatly I started feeling the contractions getting closer and stronger, I could only sit on the birth ball while E. was massaging my back.

After an hour I was told I was 4cm and could have an epidural if I wanted. I discussed it with E. coz I knew I could keep going without it but then I also knew my boy had a big head so I decided to go for it!

Ooooohhhh the relief! Amazing. I could't feel a thing. We were napping, listening to music, singing to our little one and chatting to the lovely midwife we had.

It felt so good, so relaxed, E. kept saying that is the best labour one can wish for! only an hour of contractions!!! I kept saying, wait! It's not over yet...As if I knew what was to come!

7 hours later I was fully dilated and ready to push, I could feel pressure and they told me I was doing so well, after an hour of pushing they could see the head and I could definitly feeling the pressure down in my bottom!

But Hugo didn't want to come out, I pushed for a total of 3 hours but he kept going back up.

Then it was madness. Suddenly I had 2 doctors with their hands in me trying to move the baby's head without success, I was so tired and sore. They decided to try the ventouse. They had E. out of the room and there I was pushing with a Doc pushing my belly and another one pulling my baby out. 

At the fourth push the head was out, and then came the body, I was screaming in pain even with the epidural!
They placed Hugo on my chest and I knew he was ok! He was perfect! I was happy. In shock but happy.

They weighed him, 4.300kg, a very big baby, with a big head that decided to come out with his hand on his forehead! that's why it was so hard!

They had to perform an episiotomy and I had some tearing as well. Then the placenta didn't want to come out, another hour of pushing, I felt like fainting, I lost lots of blood and ended up needing a blood transfusion. The first night was hard, I couldn do anything I was in shock and weak.

In the morning I felt better, got my baby and started him on my breast. He made me forget all the pain!

Today, 3 weeks later, I am still recovering. I don't feel like myself but I know time will heal me. Baby Hugo is amazing and we are in love. It was all worth it!!!




1 comment:

  1. what a great story! i googled how much he weighed in terms i could understand, he is a big boy wow! great job mamma v! he looks absolutely handsome and peaceful, wishing you a speedy recovery! be sure to make time to just rest!

    ReplyDelete